my mail lady either loves me or hates me...

Either she loves me because I send and receive so many packages, she doesn't have to worry about being unemployed, or she hates me because my incoming and outgoing parcels are more than she bargained for when becoming a mail carrier! Love or hate, I'm just happy to have such a busy mailbox!

The vintage bag, scarf and wallet are from the lovely Jozen as part of the accessory swap! She also sent me some beautiful handmade jewelry, and I CANNOT wait to wear the peacock feather necklace! See that wallet in the fourth picture? She MADE it! Seriously! It's beautiful quality, and I sort of unintentionally started a collection of wallets a few years ago, so it's always nice to add another one to the mix!

That pretty heart ring is a birthday pressie from my blog and real life friend (whom I get to meet in the flesh in June!!!!!), Lauren. It's so pretty, and fits like it was made for me! I'd planned to actually wear it for the picture, but my cuticles are overgrown like weeds and my nails need clipped!

My dad would say, "Now, be sure you thank them." And I already did (in case you see this, Pop)!

I'm so glad that I actually decided to stick with blogging, because I've met so many wonderful people, and participated in so many fun swaps! Have you received any special packages lately from blog friends or swap partners?

I hope you all have a good Friday and a wonderful weekend!

i'm amazing because...

I saw this post on Emma's blog and decided to join in. I know that I get a little down on myself because my legs aren't as skinny as I'd like, or my clothes or boring, or my hair is a mess, or a million other reasons, but the fact is, we all have positive qualities and characteristics that derserve some attention! So the rule is to list talents and quirks that make you amazing. If you'd like to play, and I hope you do, you can link up on Emma's blog!

>> I do that "evil eyebrow" thing without trying to anytime I'm trying not to smile too big. In my drama class in high school, a group of girls would always get me to do it.

>> I love animals more than anyone I know, and I'd risk or give my life in an instant if it meant saving them. I have a special fondness for birds and turtles, and would one day love to use and share my knowledge about my avian friends in some capacity.

>> I have several different "characters" that I do in different accents, and they always seem to give my family a good laugh.

>> I'm a pretty good shot, and even though Chris won't admit it to anyone else, he told me I was WAY better at the rifle than he was even after lots of practice!

>> I can give Chris a piggyback ride (I'm 5'2" and he's 6'2") and I could squat as much as some of the guys in high school track, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm short or have bionic woman leg muscles!

>> I'm not above looking or acting foolish if it means making someone laugh.

>> I know more about cars, engines, and their components than most.

>> Give me an occasion, no matter how long ago, and I will most likely be able to tell you what I was wearing, and the outfits of those around me. Chris likes this trick when he has a meeting and wants to be sure he doesn't wear the same thing twice in a row!

Now, link up on Emma's blog to play along, or leave me some of your talents in the comments section! Also, don't forget to enter my giveaway if you haven't already!

wishlist wednesday!

Do you sometimes wish you could get rid of all your clothes, shoes and accessories and just start fresh? I know I do. Especially now that I've been wearing the same things for YEARS, and sadly, they aren't getting any cooler! The last few weeks I've just gotten so sick of my clothes because I feel like I have to buy what fits, not necessarily what I want, so this is basically a wish list and a pity party!

From the top: embroidery shirt/minidress from micamade, mod 1960's sunglasses from jessjamesjake, vintage 80's seafoam green mini skirt with snaps from lollycrispvintage, hippie 70's tooled saddle leather purse from retroactivevintage, 1960's vintage cream scallop cut out blouse from marikoamievintage, little spice dyed shoes from thebrushfactory, striped pocket dress by replicca.
If you'd like to share your own wish list, please leave a link in the comments section; I'd love to see your finds! And don't forget to enter the city lights photography GIVEAWAY!

two things i love around my home

I'd already picked out the two things I'd share with you this week, but then the queen of cute, Brittan, surprised me with a package, and I knew for sure that the other two things would have to wait; I NEEDED to share these! Last Christmas on Lifetime, Tim Gunn said something along the lines of handmade gifts not being thoughtful, instead, cheap. It stuck with me, and it really made me question things I've given as gifts, but as far as I'm concerned, I'd take a handmade gift ANY DAY because I know that love really goes into them!

The first thing I love is the sweet little needle felted owl, and green is my favorite color, too! The second thing I love (and it's definitely my favorite) is an original watercolor of Flojo, my baby. It looks just like her, with the tilted head focusing on something interesting! You can check out some of Brittan's amazing creations in her etsy shop, little owl arts!

Please don't forget to enter the photography print and notecard GIVEAWAY! And if you'd like to share two things you're loving, be sure to link up on Kassi's blog!

i'd say it's a good time for... a GIVEAWAY!

Now, onto what may quite possibly be the most exciting thing about Monday: this giveaway! I've been following her blog and tweets for a while now, and I adore her style, so I was extra excited when the super talented and sweet-as-pie Diana wanted to host a giveaway on this blog! She is offering from her shop, city light photography, your choice of ONE 5x7 print and ONE set of notecards! All you need to know, below...

Now, here are the rules...

>> You must be a follower of this blog (and if you aren't already, you should follow her blog because it's just so darn pretty).

>> Visit Diana's shop and leave your 5x7 print choice AND your notecard choice in the comments section of this post.

>> Leave your email address in the comment so that if you win, I won't have to hunt you down just to notify you of your winning.

>> While I wish I could, I cannot enter this giveaway. Lucky readers!

Easy peasy! The winner will be announced May 5th!

my girl

I have to tell you about the highlight of my weekend. On Saturday, we went to Charles & Amanda's wedding, but the fun really started at the reception. After some beer, Smirnoff, Malibu, and whatever else they could find, the groom and groomsmen loosened up and decided they wanted to do a special performance.

video

That beautiful, monotone voice of an albatross singing the chorus is Charles, the groom. Good times. There was some debate over whether to call the quartet, "Charles and the Sunshine Kids" or "The Minix Four," but but either way they crack me up! They also tried "Stand by Me," but I'll spare you; it's even worse than this!

Coming later today... a GIVEAWAY!

earth day (a day late) & fill in the blanks

I was so busy yesterday searching the very darkest corners of the internet trying to find the lowest price on a plane ticket that I neglected my blog. Sorry! So, even though the official earth day was yesterday, there's no rule saying I can't love it today!


images from weheartit.com.

Do you do anything "green" on a regular basis, or did you do anything special for Earth Day? I refuse to use disposable dishes (even if I'm at someone else's house), I only drive when it's absolutely necessary, and I recycle anything I can. I love our pretty planet, so I try to help out a little!

Now time for "fill in the blank friday." If you want to play along, you can link up on Lauren's blog!

1. One song that always takes me back to my youth is "paradise city" by guns n' roses. I swear I was their number one fan before I even started school!

2. My first concert ever was sorry, I can't remember the band's name!

3. If I could create my dream music festival I'd want these bands to be there: woods (my current favorite), bat for lashes, blondie, tv on the radio, menomena and you say party! we say die!

4. The best make-out/"boot knocking" song ever is uhh, yeah, i can't say that I've ever "knocked boots" to music!

5. The best concert I've ever been to was Bush.

6. A memorable musical moment for me was when my dad bought me my first cd (soundgarden) for my very first cd player!

7. The song on my iPod that's getting the most play these days is two of them. this one and this one.

wishlist wednesday!

Today's wish list is inspired by my appetite. Chris and I tried this new place called "Hash House" which is open 24 hours and claims to have diner-style food. Not good. I left hungry and came home to make myself a second lunch of blue corn chips and guacamole. Anyway, I have food on the brain!

From the top: assorted macaron box from littleoven, tippy toe porcelain bowls from carolbarclay, azure lace cake plate from vesselsandwares, coconut marshmallows by sweettreatsbakery.

I wanted to say that I loves all of your comments on my last post, and I especially loved that so many of you have boyfriends or husbands that are less than impressed with your style. I thought it was funny, and I told Chris not to worry, as he's not the only man who thinks that! Also, thanks for the tips on which shoes would look best. You guys are the best!

shorts, tights...what else?

I've said it (a zillion times) before, and I'll say it again, I'm not a fashion expert, and my sense of style is, well, questionable. So I got some cut off jean shorts from Forever 21, and I've been wanting some floral print tights, the only problem is that I don't know what shoes would look right. Any suggestions?

The shorts were a steal (like most everything at F21), but the tights (from modcloth.com) are $29.99 each, and maybe I'm just a real cheapskate, but I can't justify spending more on those than I did on both shorts combined! Know of anywhere else that has floral tights or leggings?

Chris told me as I started this post to say something about him in it, so here it is: he would hate this outfit as he recently told me he wishes I would dress more normal. Oh husbands!

So, along the lines of outfits, are you signed up for weardrobe, chictopia, lookbook.nu or anything similar? If you are, I'd love for you to share your link so I can look!

birthday recap

I celebrated my 28th birthday on Friday, but the party didn't stop there! Okay, so there wasn't actually a party, but I did have an incredibly busy weekend. Shopping, eating, bike riding, eating, a little more shopping, and a little more eating! I tried to remember to take a few pictures to share...

A few of my favorite things... the first is the "Birthday Princess" sash Chris left over the seat of my Blazer for me to find when I went out for work on Friday morning. He left balloons through the house with questions on them, and I thought, like last year, he'd filled my Blazer up to the windows with balloons (in which case I would have murdered him)! The next few things are some of my favorite gifts. Sunnies (I haven't really wanted to take them off), green ballet flats, a large antique bird print from Pop and Tricia, a large antique blue jay print from my grandma. I also got gift cards, candles, underwear (can you guess who gave me those?), and money.

Chris and I went biking on Saturday and got in about 12 miles, then Pop, Tricia, Chris and I went riding on Sunday and got in another 12 miles, so it wasn't as much as I'd hoped for, but I'd say it was still good (and fun) exercise!

I've been wanting a pair of fun, patterned tights to wear with jean shorts or plain dresses than need a little jazzing up, and I found these on the anthropologie website. I really like them, but I have my heart set on the lighter, more spring-like floral tights I've seen on we heart it. Anyone know where I can find them?

balls are to men what purses are to women

The lovely Micaela tagged me to show you my purse and it's contents. Like my life at the moment, the guts of my tote are a complete mess. Whoa, heavy. Of course I didn't show you the post office receipts and tampons, but they're no fun anyway!

From the top: the tote is a dinosaur toes original made by my two hands from glorious cotton canvas and crochet lace trim. Below are the contents... wallet (my favorite ever) sent to me by Rachel, lip gloss, fingernail clippers, hand lotion, two pairs of sunglasses (and the third pair I left at Pop's), a boring mp3 player since my ipod decided to end its life, my phone, a pair of socks (which may seem weird, but I also have tennies in the front seat and my bike in the back in case I decide to go for a ride), some gum, a notepad (because you never know when you need to write a note and stick it to someones front door or car), and some batteries for the Wii controller. All in all, not too fancy, but then neither am I!

I know I didn't do Wishlist Wednesday! yesterday, but I'll try to do it tomorrow because it's always fun window shopping, no?


I saved the best for last. Today when I got home in the funk that I'm in, I planned to come inside, change out of my work clothes and take turns crying and reading. But then I saw something on my porch... and it was a birthday pressie! Fallon is so uber sweet - sweeter than candy - and this just makes her even sweeter. I got a beautiful journal (which I think I'll dedicate to California) and a pretty bird card, with an SNL reference no less! I love that Fallon is an SNL fan, because I can't tell you how many times I've said something about a "doo doo pie" and have people look at me like I'm nuts. I didn't sing it, Tracy Morgan did! Anyway, back to the present. It was so sweet and unexpected, and I adore the illustrations on the box, don't you?!?

So thanks Fallon, and thanks to all the blog friends I've made for just being you. If I hadn't met so many great people through blogging, I would have given it up long ago, but I seriously get so excited when I see a new comment from each of you. You make the day a little brighter! XO.

two things i love around my home

Before I get started, I wanted to say hello to the new blog followers. So, hello! Second, if you want to join and share your two favorite things, you can link up on Kassi's blog. So, my two favorite things today are more symbolic than anything...

I picked the feather (because I like it and it's huge) because I love the wildlife that lives around me. At any given time I can look out of my windows and see songbirds, maybe as many as 30 turkeys, deer, squirrels, or little bunnies. Obviously I like having fresh flowers in my house, but they symbolize the lush green fields, thick woods and general botanical beauty that surrounds my home!

For the last picture, I'm still not sure I want to share it, but it's up for now...and I may delete it. I'm definitely not the type of person who likes taking pictures of myself as my comfort zone is on the other side of the camera, but while I was getting some laundry together, I decided I'd play around with my new flowers and my crazy hair and take a new facebook profile picture. Soooo, here it is. I'm so shy.

i felt like i was stealing...

On Saturday I had: a little lunch, a little thrifting, a little girl talk. What better way to start off the day than by making a fool of myself! We had lunch at Starlight where I ordered the delicious "Protester" sandwich, which is served with tortilla chips and salsa. My sandwich was so messy I thought I'd try cutting & eating it with a fork, only my fork slipped and shot my tortilla chips across the table and all over the floor! Oh, boy...

Luckily, after throwing food across the cafe, I knew my day could only get better from there! I found $20 in the Lowe's parking lot on Friday (true story, I got lucky), so I was eager to spend it at my favorite store in Lynchburg, Estate Specialists.

The two dishes are actually really large serving platters, and I think they work good for hanging on walls or as centerpieces. For example, grouping several pillar candles in different heights on the dish, and then setting that on the dining room table. My favorite find of the day was the large gesso frame in the second picture. I know there is a chunk broken off at the top, but I fell in love with its charm! It's pretty big at 30", and I think I'm going to paint a smooth piece of plywood with chalkboard paint and put that in the frame. Then there was the antique crochet lace. Oooh, pretty, and I can't wait to use it on tote bags (which means I'll have to do a lot of sewing)! The last item is a pretty golden detailed wood frame. I adore vintage frames. I thought I had a print that would fit in the frame, but it's a bit too small, so that means I get to buy a new print!

So the reason I felt like I was stealing, as the post title states, is because I got all of those goods for a tiny $10.50, and that even includes tax! There are a couple more things I want, plus I'll need to buy something for my vintage exchange partner, so I'll go back soon...REALLY soon!